Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A Sad Day in Nerdville

Sorry, no humorous post from me today. (Well, more accurately I should say no attempt at a humorous post today)

Arthur C. Clarke passed today.

He was the last survivor of "The Big Three" masters of Science Fiction. Most people will recognize "2001: A Space Odyssey" even if they do not understand it! It was a spectacularly mind bending book and it was an utterly terrible movie other than the special effects (which were ground breaking).

When the sequel, 2010, came out I saw Arthur C. Clarke on a talk show pimping 2010 the movie. The host said to him. "Mr. Clark, before we talk about 2010 would you mind quickly going over 2001 because I just did not get that movie."
Without missing a beat and in his British accent Arthur replied, "My dear lady, I wrote the novel 2001 and I don't understand the movie either."

I almost fell off the couch laughing!

I do hope that right about now he is saying, "My God, it's full of stars!"

A brilliant mind and an engaging story teller- the last surviving participant of an era when a new art form came into it's own.

He will be missed.

Blue Skies Arthur, Blue skies.

Read a little more about him HERE

6 comments:

Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

He was a brilliant author and had a brilliant mind. He will be truly missed.

He was one of my favorites - - right up there with Isaac Asimov.

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Well, now we have to mention Hienlien just so we have "The Big Three" all in one thread. :)

Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

Well, okay - - Heinlein was an excellent author also.

(But Asimov was always my favaorite!)

AutoSysGene said...

"My God, it's full of stars!"

Best.Line.Ever.

Tanya said...

I guess I missed that question on the nerd test.

Sad though. He sounds like a funny guy.

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Mz. Lizzy- Oh, I was not trying to correct you! I was just throwing that out; that Asimov , Clark and Heinlein were the “Three Masters”. I just thought we should get the third one in there! Clark was the last of the “Masters” still alive. The end of an era.

Melissa- Yes it sure was a great line! I did not realize the depths of your geekosity until now! :)

Tanya- You know, he probably *should* be on the nerd test! Pick up 2001 THE BOOK sometime. You will not be sorry! Don’t let the movie ruin it for you. (or the fact that NASA has screwed us over so badly that we are now at least 25 years behind ‘schedule’. As Erika can attest, don’t get me started on a “NASA Rant”)