Saturday, February 9, 2008

What a Difference a Week Makes!

A mere eight days ago Springfield looked like this:



Today it was sunny and a balmy 43 df (degrees Fahrenheit). It is unbelievable how good 43 freaking degrees feels. Man it was so nice I was driving around with the windows down! It was that good! I went to my favorite park and had a nice walk, then I found an awesome picnic table right on the edge of the lake where the water was lapping up against the rocks.

I had brought a book to read but instead I just sat there face turned up into the sun absorbing it's magical rays and listening to the water lap against the rocks. I felt so good that when I got back my truck I had an incredible urge to play Frisbee! I tried to get a hold of Erika to she if she was up for it but no luck. So I went and found another lakeside park and had another walk in the sun!

It was A Truly Glorious Day!

It fascinates me to no end how much perspective alters your perceptions. Back home in Dallas 43 is pretty miserable. I would not even THINK of basking in the sun on a 43-degree day there. I would have a fire roaring and wishing for a better day. At this time and this place though, sunny and 43 was a magical, invigorating day!

Alas, it's now late afternoon and a brutal cold front is approaching. The sky is clouding up portending the misery to come. Somehow, right now, I do not mind. :)

On another weather note, Springfield has been in a fairly severe drought for months now. Just a few days ago our boat dock looked like this:


Here is what it looks like today:


A week ago we received that foot of snow you can see above. Just a few days later the storm system that spawned all of those tornados that killed over 50 people down in Tennessee dumped two inches of rain here in two days. That rain combined with the melting foot of snow FILLED the lake up in 3 days. It was unreal! On Sunday you could drive over the bridge and see over 100 yards of dry lakebed. On Monday morning the entire lake bottom was covered again. On Monday afternoon the lake was only about 4 inches shy of being full. By Tuesday it was overfull.


It boggles my mind that a lake can get several feet deeper in a matter of a couple of days!

8 comments:

Dizzy Ms. Lizzy said...

Two whole inches of rain in two days in Springfield, huh?

Gotcha beat - - Decatur got 4-1/2 inches of rain in the same two days! That, following a 12 inch snowfall!

So stop whining already . . . *grin*

OHmommy said...

LOL... yup 40's sound SO GOOD in the midwest. We have deer running outside right now and the geese never flew south... it is so warm in Ohio.

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

Ms. Lizzy- Man, if we had gotten 4.5 inches the water would be in the backyard! So no whining here!

OhMommy- Did that snow I saw on the Radar this morning get you?

Crazymamaof6 said...

we got a ton of rain no clue how much. but not as obviously how much wiht out a lake to fill up but the salt river is flowing this winter which is normally a dry river bed. so that is saying something. still gonna be a drought though. here. love the desert! and it had been downright springy here. and warm. I love the sunshine and warmth.

Sauntering Soul said...

We've been experiencing a severe drought down here in Atlanta too. Luckily we've been getting some rain lately. However, they say it's going to take four months of fairly heavy precipitation for our lakes to bounce back.

Tanya said...

Thats a lot of rain. I can't even imagine getting enough in such a short amount of time to fill up a whole lake.

Where do the fish go?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Illinois did not kill you, and you have water again. Enjoy the 40s!

NerdyRedneck Rob said...

CrazyMomma- Man talk about rubbing it in! :)

Sauntering- Whenever I felt bad about our lake being so low I would think of y’all down Atlanta way. Terrible!

Tanya- The whole lake did not dry up just the outer edges like our cove, so the fishies were safe in the deeper middle part. PS, I love your new "Fake Student" avatar!

Angela- You mean YET, right? Illinois have not killed me YET. :)